Holy Toaster: The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A dark but amusing train of thought.

3 posters

Go down

A dark but amusing train of thought. Empty A dark but amusing train of thought.

Post  The Crippled Intern 3rd July 2011, 4:34 am

This is an out-of-character post; I leave this here as James Wade, not as The Crippled Intern:

Okay, so I want to share something here. It might be considered dark, but I have a sense of humor that swings all over the scale, so I found it to be really amusing. Bare with me (yes, I realize what I did there).

About two years ago, chronic pain had me in a dark place. I was contemplating suicide. I joined a suicide support forum, a place where people thinking these dark thoughts could find moral support to help get them through a tough time. Clearly it worked, because here I sit, typing out this over-long Facebook update. Hooray for support groups!

I haven't visited the forum in a long time, and I even forgot that I'd ever signed up to it. I was reminded tonight when I got an automated e-mail from the Suicide Support Forum wishing me a happy birthday.

When I saw the e-mail, I immediately erupted in laughter. I'm going to assume that most people won't understand why I found the e-mail amusing, and I'm not sure I can really express properly in words why I found it amusing, but there's something about a suicide support forum -- a place filled to the brim with desperate, hopeless people -- sending out jaunty, peppy birthday wishes.

There's a darker thought that struck me, as well: there's irony and sadness to be found in the fact that there are e-mail accounts that will get this e-mail after the person who once owned the account is no longer walking this mortal coil.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share that. I realize that I'm probably just a little bit twisted, but I'm okay with that. As just about any stand up comedian will tell you, you have to find the amusing and ironic in the dark and dank. Otherwise you go loopy as a loop-loop.
The Crippled Intern
The Crippled Intern
Admin

http://www.holytoaster.com

Back to top Go down

A dark but amusing train of thought. Empty Re: A dark but amusing train of thought.

Post  prof_memes 3rd July 2011, 1:59 pm

Setting the Guy Fawkes mask aside, we, your friends, are pleased that you still can check your email once in a while and receive peppy reminders. ^^v I, for one, am looking forward to hanging out with you when I return at the end of this week.

Happy birthday again. ^^V
prof_memes
prof_memes

http://twitter.com/prof_memes/

Back to top Go down

A dark but amusing train of thought. Empty Re: A dark but amusing train of thought.

Post  TeknoHobbit 5th July 2011, 6:06 am

Sorry I missed your birthday, happy belated instead! Also having the macabre sense of humor, I did find your story very amusing. It sounds almost like something from a Gahan Wilson cartoon.

Your point about what happens to your presence in cyperspace after you have left meatspace is a problem that is just starting to be explored. It is easy to set up automatic e-greetings for birthdays, anniversarys etc so you wont forget, but what happens if you were to set all that up and pass away? Would it be touching or just creepy to get a birthday wish from beyond the grave?
TeknoHobbit
TeknoHobbit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum